Horse & Rider Magazine
Female Western Riders Passionate About Their Horses
Average paid circulation: 118,995
Horse&Rider serves the dedicated, do-it-yourself Western rider, both in and out of the competitive arena. It’s the only publication designed for affluent horsewomen, who constantly seek new ways and products to enhance their horse owning way of life. Western tack, gear, and apparel show their identity, and their high-quality horses exemplify their dedication to riding.
The Equine Network features multiple innovative advertising and marketing opportunities. To insure you will be well informed about all of these opportunities and also to insure you are able to secure the best advertising rates possible, please fill out the rate request form below and it will be submitted to one of our Associate Group Publishers for follow up.
Request Advertising Rates
2017 Issue Schedule & Editorial Calendar
||THE ‘FIX-IT’ ISSUE: Insulin-Resistance Management; Take Charge of a Jigger; Medication Vs.Horsemanship
||SENIOR HORSE ISSUE: Arthritis Management Q&A; Ranch Trail Poles; Reading X-Rays; Feel-Good Work for Your Senior Horse
||TRENDS ISSUE: New in Navicular; Slow Medicine; Tack and Apparel Trends Special Ad Section: Tack and Gear
||DREAM BARN ISSUE: Fresh, Sweet Barn; Breeding Ethics; Tack-Room Storage; Fencing and Barn Innovations Special Ad Section: Barnyard Makeover
||HEALTHY HORSE AND RIDER ISSUE: Vaccination Update Q&A; Conditioning for Trail Riding; One Health Movement Special Ad Section: Health
||SUMMER SURVIVAL GUIDE: Feed-Through Fly Control Q&A; Hot-Weather Hazards; Comfort Wear for Riders
||HIT THE ROAD: Fireworks-Anxiety Prevention; Best Hauling Secrets; Transport Stress; What’s New in Trailers
||GOALS ISSUE: Electrolytes; Gastric Ulcers; Manage Your Nerves
||YOUTH ISSUE: Deworming Best Practices; ‘What I Wish Youth Riders Knew;’ Disaster Planning; Understand Your Scorecard; How Horses Benefit Your Kids
||BLANKETS ISSUE: Hoof-Care Challenges; Lumps and Bumps; Annual Blankets Feature
||‘GIVE BACK’ ISSUE: Chemical-Free Calming; Emergencies on the Trail; Trainers and Equine Businesses Giving Back in Unique Ways Special Ad Section: Gift Guide
||‘BEST OF’ ISSUE: Senior Horse Care Q&A; Round-Up of Bob Avila’s Best Advice; Deworming; Annual ‘Best Of’ Feature
- Horse and land owners
95% own horses, an average of 6 horses each
Own an average of 30+ acres each
- Accomplished riders
88% consider themselves intermediate or advanced riders
Earn enough to enjoy their horses
- Household Income: $81,904
- 91% own homes
Buy based on H&R
- 91% of readers indicate the ads and content in H&R affect their purchasing decisions
- 53% considered purchasing advertised products or services
- 43% visited an advertised website
- 74% say it’s a “must-read”
- Spend an average of 1 hour, 35 minutes with each issue
- Compared to other equine publications…
- 72% feel H&R has an above average influence among horse people
Own and care for horses and horse-related equipment
- 99% make purchasing decisions for feed and health products
- 86% use supplements
- 44% used alternative therapies in past year (from chiropractic to stem cell)
- 84% own a horse trailer and truck
- 71% own fencing
- 66% own a barn/stable
- 57% own a tractor/farm equipment
- 79% ride once a week or more frequently**
- 76% trail ride
- 54% attend clinics or symposiums
- 30% go horse camping/packing/hunting
- Printing: Web Offset
- Safety Area: .25”
- Final Trim Size: 7.875” Width x 10.5” Height
- Bleed Size: 8.125” Width x 10.75” Height
- Bleed Spread Size: 16” Width x 10.75” Height
- Binding: Perfect Bind
- Press Dot Gain: Perfect Bind
- 2 Page Spread – 15.25” W x 10” H (live) / 15.75” W x 10.5” H (trim) /
16” W x 10.75” H (bleed)
- 1 Full Page – 7.375” W x 10” H (live) / 7.875” W x 10.5” H (trim) /
8.125” W x 10.75” H (bleed)
- 2/3 Page Vertical – 4.625” W x 9.75” H
- 1/2 Page Horizontal – 7” W x 4.75” H
- 1/2 Page Digest* – 4.625” W x 7.25” H
- 1/3 Page Horizontal – 4.625” W x 4.75” H
- 1/3 Page Vertical – 2.25” W x 9.75” H
- 1/6 Page Horizontal – 4.625” W x 2.25” H
- 1/6 Page Vertical – 2.25” W x 4.75” H
*The Trail Rider & Spin To Win Rodeo 1/2 Page Island configuration also available.
Market Place Advertisements
- 1/3 Page Vertical – 2.25” W x 9.75” H
- Double 1/9 Page Horizontal – 4.625” W x 3.125” H
- Double 1/9 Page Vertical – 2.25” W x 6.375” H
- Single 1/9 Page – 2.25” W x 3.125” H
The Trail Rider and Spin to Win Rodeo ONLY
- 1/2 Page Vertical – 3.4375” W x 9.75” H
- 1/4 Page – 3.4375” W x 4.75” H
Advertisement Material Requirements
Production Ad Specifications
If needed, we can create your ad for you. A proof will be emailed to you for approval and sign off. We will provide two proofs before final approval.
- For ads being created by the publisher, submit typed copy and basic ad layout.
- Digital images provided must be saved as a .TIFF or .EPS file, CMYK, 300 dpi. Color will shift in files provided as RGB. A color proof must be provided from file for accuracy and reference.
- Photograph prints are not recommended and the publisher cannot guarantee quality if provided.
- Logos must be submitted as a PDF, all other file types are subject to review for reproduction quality.
Any ads or materials that do not follow these specifications are not guaranteed for reproduction.
Disclaimer: Publisher will review client’s digital ads. If additional work is necessary to ensure proper output of ad, additional production charges may apply. If delays occur due to missing or noncompatible resource of font file, late charges may apply.
Ads Provided as Digital File S
All digitally submitted ads should be saved as a PDF (for partial page ads) and a PDF/X-1a (for full page ads) and submitted on CD. Files must be saved as CMYK (not RGB), 300 dpi.
Ad Materials Checklist
File Format: (Adobe CS4), InDesign, Illustrator, or Photoshop saved as .TIF or .EPS.
- Ad file set to correct dimensions.
- All resource files included in the ad (logo, graphics and photo images).
- All screen and printer fonts (no True Type fonts accepted).
- For bleed ads please be sure to follow specifications listed allowing 1/8” beyond trim.
- Full page ads: Safety area (text and images) on all ads must be 3/16” from the ad trim. Content not within this area may be subject to trim.
Printouts and Proofs
- Printouts of ad and disk directory required.
- We cannot accept a digital ad without a printout of the full advertisement.
- SWOP certified proof created from the ad file provided.
Total area density should not exceed SWOP standard of 300%. If a SWOP proof is not available, one will be created for an additional $30 charge. This is required for all ads on press for accuracy of reproduction of color. There is no guarantee of color without a SWOP proof. All questions regarding materials, inserts, BRCs or other inquiries should be directed to:
Barbara Van Sickle
Group Production Director
Phone: (303) 625-1624
Please upload Digital Files to our FTP site
Upon completion of upload to our FTP site, please contact production to inform us that your files are ready to download.
Send an email with the corresponding file name to one of the following email addresses after the upload is complete:
Please send Print Production /Art Materials to:
Active Interest Media
2520 55th Street, Suite 210
Boulder, CO 80301