Well-Heeled Western Aficionados
Average paid circulation: 98,856 (2014)
Wild for the romance and drama of all things Western, American Cowboy readers devour stories about the past as eagerly as tales about today’s wranglers —of cattle and couture. This affluent audience loves to express their cowboy spirit through all aspects of their life, from homes to heels to horses. American Cowboy celebrates the past and the present of the West with content about lifestyle, travel, culture and gear all highlighted with gorgeous photography.
The Equine Network features multiple innovative advertising and marketing opportunities. To insure you will be well informed about all of these opportunities and also to insure you are able to secure the best advertising rates possible, please fill out the rate request form below and it will be submitted to one of our Associate Group Publishers for follow up.
Request Advertising Rates
2017 Issue Schedule & Editorial Calendar
Reach Affluent, Sophisticated Fans of The West
American Cowboy is published 6 times per year.
||175 Great Western Events
||Legends of the West
||The Travel Issue
Travel: Great Plains
(OK, KS, NE, ND, SD, WY, MT)
||Made in America Gear Roundup
Travel: The Rockies
(CO, WY, MT, ID, UT)
||The Great Outdoors
Travel: California, Nevada
||Rodeo and the NFR Guide
(OR, WA, ID, AK, Canada)
American Cowboy Readers
- Devoted to the brand
87% say AC ads and content affect their purchasing decisions
- Consumers of all that expresses their passion for the West
50% pick up the magazine as much for ads as for content
- Male/female: 54%/46%
Earn enough to enjoy a Western lifestyle
- Household Income: $83,890
- 86% own homes
- Own an average of 23 acres
- 73% say it’s a “must-read”
- Spend an average of 1 hour, 40 minutes with each issue
Buy based on AC
- More than half visited an advertised website.
- More than half considered purchasing advertised products or services.
Own horses and what it takes to care for them
- 65% own horses, an average of 4.23 horses each
- 95% make purchasing decisions for feed and health products
- 72% keep horses on their own property
- 57% own trucks used for hauling trailers
- 50% own horse trailers
Indulge in all things Western
- 86% enjoy Western fashion
- 81% collect Western art/antiques/collectibles
- 71% collect horse-themed art/antiques/collectibles
Buy products that express their Western passion
In the past 12 months:
- 76% purchased Western apparel
- 62% purchased boots
- 58% bought books
- 56% purchased Western hats
- 50% purchased Western belts/buckles
- 49% purchased Western art/collectibles
- 45% purchased Western home décor
Travel to broaden their Western experience
- 65% attend rodeos and shooting sports competitions
- 55% attend Western horse events
- 49% visit Western museums and historical sites
Magazine trim size is 8” x 10.5”
All materials must be submitted according to the specs below.
Display Ad Dimensions (width is given as the first dimension)
- 2 Page Spread (bleed) 16-1/4” x 10-3/4” (16.25 x 10.75)
- Full Page (bleed) 8-1/4” x 10-3/4” (8.25 x 10.75)
- Full page (live) 7” x 9-1/2” (7 x 9.5)
- 1/2 page Spread (bleed) 16-1/4” x 5-1/4” (16.25 x 5.25)
- 2/3 Page Vertical 4-5/8” x 9-1/2” (4.625 x 9.5)
- 1/2 Page Horizontal 7” x 4-11/16” (7 x 4.687)
- 1/2 Page Vertical 3-3/8” x 9-1/2” (3.375 x 9.5)
- 1/3 Page Vertical 2-1/4” x 9-1/2” (2.25 x 9.5)
- 1/3 Page Square 4-5/8” x 4-11/16” (4.625 x 4.687)
- 1/4 Page Vertical 3-3/8” x 4-11/16” (3.375 x 4.687)
- 1/6 Page Vertical 2-1/4” x 4-11/16” (2.25 x 4.687)
Western Shopper Ad Dimensions (width is given as the first dimension)
- 1/9 Page 2-1/8” x 3” (2.125 x 3)
- Double 1/9 Page Vertical 2-1/8” x 6-3/16” (2.125 x 6.188)
- Double 1/9 Page Horizontal 4-1/2” x 3” (4.5 x 3)
Destinations Ad Dimensions (width is given as the first dimension)
- 1/12 Page 2-1/8” x 2” (2.125 x 2)
- Double 1/12 Page Vertical 2-1/8” x 4-1/4” (2.125 x 4.25)
- Double 1/12 Page Horizontal 4-1/2” x 2” (4.5 x 2)
Advertisement Material Requirements
Production Ad Specifications
If needed, we can create your ad for you. A proof will be emailed to you for approval and sign off. We will provide two proofs before final approval.
- For ads being created by the publisher, submit typed copy and basic ad layout.
- Digital images provided must be saved as a .TIFF or .EPS file, CMYK, 300 DPI. Color will shift in files provided as RGB. A color proof must be provided from file for accuracy and reference.
- Logos must be submitted as a PDF, all other file types are subject to review for reproduction quality.
Any ads or materials that do not follow these specifications are not guaranteed for reproduction.
Disclaimer: Publisher will review client’s digital ads. If additional work is necessary to ensure proper output of ad, additional production charges may apply. If delays occur due to missing or noncompatible resource of font file, late charges may apply.
Ads Provided as Digital Files
All digitally submitted ads should be saved as a PDF (for partial page ads) and a PDF/X-1a (for full page ads).
Files must be saved as CMYK (not RGB), 300 dpi.
Ad Materials Checklist
File Format: (Adobe CS4 or CS5.5), InDesign, Illustrator, or Photoshop saved as .TIFF or .EPS.
- Ad file set to correct dimensions.
- All resource files included in the ad (logo, graphics and photo images).
- All screen and printer fonts (no True Type fonts accepted).
- For bleed ads please be sure to follow specifications listed allowing 1/8” beyond trim.
- Full page ads: Ads must be 3/16" (.1875). Content not within this area may be subject to trim.
Printouts and Proofs
- Printouts of ad and disk directory required.
- We cannot accept a digital ad without a printout of the full ad.
- SWOP certified proof created from the ad file provided.
Total area density should not exceed SWOP standard of 300%. If a SWOP proof is not available, one will be created for an additional $30 charge. This is required for all ads on press for accuracy of reproduction of color. There is no guarantee of color without a SWOP proof.
For Digital File Submission
Please upload your PDF to our FTP site. Please notify us via email at: Production@americancowboy.com after your upload is complete. Please include your file name in the email. Please do not name your file the publication name but with your company name of the advertiser name.
Use a free FTP program such as- FileZilla, Cyberduck or Fetch to send your file.
If problems persist, contact:
Barbara Van Sickle
Group Production Director
Phone: (303) 625-1624
Please submit Print Production/Art Materials to:
2520 55th Street, Suite 210
Boulder, CO 80301
Ph: (303) 625-1600
All questions regarding materials, inserts, BRCs or other inquiries should be directed to:
Barbara Van Sickle
Group Production Director
Phone: (303) 625-1624